Spheres Final Project-- Debating Issues in Science
Students need to select from any of the following issues that you brainstormed on 5/24, or one of your own personal choosing- ask for Mr. R.’s help
1. Should there be a space program?
2. What should be done about deforestation?
3. What should be done about global warming?
4. To dredge or not to dredge? (PCBs)
5. What should the future be for hydroelectric dams?
7. Oceanic garbage
8. Rising gas prices
9. Nuclear energy
I. Debate Method Requirements
A. Your Title Page (w/one interesting visual):
1. (Bold Underlined) Issue (name it)
2. Your name(s)
3. Brief summary of the various sides of your issue (name them)
B. Your Point of View Pages (at least 6 pages):
your supporting statements (3 pages)
a. Describe 5 pieces of evidence supporting your arguments (credit sources)
b. Minimum of 5 Visuals helping to prove your points
problems with the opposing side(s) (3 pages)
a. Describe 5 evidences weakening your oppositions side
b. At least 5 visuals helping to disprove the opposition
(1 page minimum)
a. Closing arguments should summarize your side in a very compelling manner
C. Works Cited Page(s)- at least 10 sources
1. Same format requirements as previous projects
D. Oral presentation to class of debate
1. Should use the all of the above visuals in a ten minute Power Point Presentation to the class. Remember- you are trying to persuade…
2. You will need to defend yourself in front of the class, as they will be allowed to ask you directed questions at the end of your presentation.
II. Dates and Grades
a. Title Page (1 page) 5/26 Lab Grade
representations (6 pages) 6/8 Test Grade
c. Summary (1 page) 6/8 Quiz Grade
d. Bibliography (works cited) 6/8 Homework Grade
2. Oral presentation of your side of the debate 6/10 Test Grade